Monday 5 March 2018

Memories


Weaving the Past Into the Present


We underestimate the values and memories we carry around
with us and its impact on what we do. Subconsciously records
of the past appear although we sometimes do not realize what
the influence is.
I decided to take part in our school’s Maker Faire this month. I immediately
thought of a weaving station. With the support of a colleague we thought of
a variety of frames.We had a few different ones in mind but I knew exactly
what I wanted. My sister and I had used a particular frame with thick wool
when we were young. We wove colorful woolen table mats. I remember it
took hours or sometimes days to finish them, but the finished product
sometimes a little grubby from too much handling was perfect. That is the frame I
would use. I had them made, trying to remember how it looked, how I could use
fabric and wool at the same time. The possibilities were endless.


Today, being off school, my daughter and I started creating memories. The
impact of my recollection was so great that I know this experience will never be
forgotten. It took us many hours but we worked well as a team. She diligently span
cut, stretched, tied and thought about alternative ways to complete this project. My
colleague suggested I use African cloth. I collected remnants from local seamstresses
and the picture below is what we created. Although it is still a work in progress,
and we had been working on it for hours, when Esi commented,
“I just want to finish this today.”
I noticed her excitement and willingness to keep going, the same feeling my sister and
I had many years ago. We decided to stop and complete it another day.



It suddenly occurred to me were weaving the past into the present. My recollection had
taken Esi and I to the same place my sister and I were many years ago.



2 comments:

  1. Weaving yarn and weaving memories. You made such a sweet connection between your past and present..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last line stopped me in my tracks. How amazing to share something so special with your daughter, and as you put it, to be in "the same place." In a world of distractions, we are so rarely in the right place these days. It made me think of your earlier post that was a bit nostalgic for simpler times, you have been able to create for that Esi.

    ReplyDelete