Friday 16 March 2018



Memories


A Different Kind of Dinner Time


Settling them gently to sleep we arranged then horizontally so they
had enough space around them. As the heat hit our backs, we felt they
would be hot too. We covered them with a thin muslin cloth we had found
lying on the shed floor.

It was not long enough as the edges seemed to have been torn uncaringly,
making parts of it fray. It looked like it had been used and not cared for.
This cloth we found must have been white one day but today it looked a
nice light shade of brown. It did the job, they were all covered. Sheltered
from the scorching sun. If we were warm they must have felt it too. We
were the only family they had, so we were obliged to take care of them.


Whilst they slept peacefully we decided to lay the table. We had many
colored crockery. How were we going to combine them to create a
coordinated and appealing table? They would not be asleep for too long.
We had to work very quickly. Ros went searching for what we could put on
the plates, I stayed behind to mix and match the tableware. They’d have to
work, I thought, that’s all we’ve got. Maybe this is what we can put on our
wish list for Christmas.


After a few minutes Ros came back carrying a bunch of leaves. It was
going to be salad for dinner. We prepared the meal together hoping to
combine them well enough so they looked attractive. Ros loved what she
was doing. I heard her humming to herself, I did not dare interrupt. After all,
she had gone to the market, how would I criticize what see bought. Oh! this
is exciting.


They’d wake up ready for their meal. I hope they would not be disappointed
as there was no meat or chicken to go with it. That is when I decided to
make a dressing, a salad dressing. That would be easy, a little water, some
oil and anything else that I could add that will not be missed. I had to go to
the kitchen and hope no one saw me.


“Ros I will be back soon,” I shouted.

Skipping through the front room, I opened the creaky door. That is when I
saw Mama. My plan could obviously not be executed. I went to the sink,
washed my grubby hands, quickly thought of a different plan and decided to
drink some cold water. After all it was a very sticky afternoon. As I opened
the fridge I noticed some ketchup. I quickly poured a little into my plastic
cup. As it was opaque Mama did not notice. I run quickly out of the kitchen
shouting,

“Ros I coming.”

When I got back Ros had woken them up and sat them all around the table.
I quickly prepared my concoction and set it beside the salad. It was time for
dinner. Our dolls were going to have a feast. Ros and I were very pleased
we had been able to prepare dinner in time. We had to feed them, so our
task was not finished. We set to work...

4 comments:

  1. This is great. You really built the suspense, had me wondering who "they" were. I did not see the punch line coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister is such a good story-teller! Juliette, you had me hooked - a truly captivating storyline indeed. What's more I could just picture us doing exactly what you had us doing. I know Mama is looking down and is totally proud of you - keep churning out the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great slice. I love, love how you crafted this to hold me in suspense. When I finished reading, I smiled because my granddaughter's (the one who lives here and the one who lives in Ecuador) played that way last summer in our backyards.... and I took some pics so they can show their daughters someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept wondering who 'they' were...Although you kept giving clues (plastic cutlery, bunch of leaves), it didn't click until the very end. Love it!

    ReplyDelete