Tuesday 25 April 2017

Connections Made
In my second grade class I shared a beautifully written piece of text by Nicole, an older student. The gist of the text (which was presented orally and published) was to motivate her audience and readers achieve to the best of their abilities.

We learned a song in class, ‘The World’s Greatest’ by R. Kelly, which we realized reflected most of the “IB learner profile and attitudes” traits such as being an inquirer, knowledgeable having confidence, enhancing our creativity and being committed to excellence. The students read the lyrics chorally and enjoyed the tune. I know that because they hummed the melody all day long. Humming whilst writing and lining up.

As the earlier text that was read was metaphorical, I had to explain some of the ‘special language’ to my students.

I suddenly connected all the class discussions with a book that was introduced to me by a colleague, ‘Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon.’ This book I thought could extend the students’ understanding of Nicole’s writing. A book that inspires all to appreciate who they are and to do their best regardless of how others perceive them.

The writing, lyrics and book, together emphasized the same theme. With the reiteration, the meaning of the initial writing was much clearer to my seven and eight year old students.


Text to text connections were clearly established.






No comments:

Post a Comment