Wednesday 7 March 2018

Memories



Who Was Welcome?


I guess everybody was welcome to our house. I now know it was more like a
communal house. There were cars driving in or out all the time. Sometimes it felt
like a busy train station, the sounds, people, movement and the aroma or whiffs of
spicy food.


Friends visited without notice, that was acceptable then, because there was always
someone home to receive them. Relatives, old and young stopped by regularly. They
were all welcome and gave the house a buzz. Sometimes they even overstayed their
welcome and became part of our household.


This must give you a clue the sort of parents I had. They were very hospitable. Daddy was
the sort of person that could have stood outside to call everyone in. He accepted any and
everybody. Guests frequently joined him at our eight seater dining table which sometimes
turned into a twelve seater with chairs oozing off the fringes.


I am sure you are wondering how they all had enough to eat. My mother’s sweltering
kitchen was like a restaurant’s, where cooking happened all day long. We had cooks,
young ladies, sometimes they were the hardy relatives who willingly wanted to learn
from Mama, they learned and some stayed. This allowed Mama to go out to work and
have a break from managing this ant hill, with people teeming in and out like ants.


What I learned from this is to accept all and acknowledge people, no matter where they
come from. Sometimes though I got a little annoyed as I had to share, the space, food,
my parents and my time.




2 comments:

  1. I love the image of a table made for 8 that magically accommodates 12.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my best memories are around a table. And as kids we learned much about living around that hospitable table.

    ReplyDelete