Thursday 15 March 2018


Memories




Storytime With Grandma
Haiku


Grandma sang and tapped
A long Ananse story
Storytime was great

We really enjoyed storytime  with Grandma. She lined us up, sat us down on the rough cemented floor, legs outstretched. With the lights really dim and the full moon staring at us, she brushed our outstretched legs with a sweeping movement.
She would chant,"Pemp naa"
We would all respond, "Nana."
That was the beginning of another enticing story of Kwaku Ananse the trickster. There was always a lesson from her stories. Through the stories Grandma advised, disciplined and set us off to face the world. I am so glad I enjoyed Grandma Alice's stories. I now know that some of her stories about Kweku Ananse were made up because I have never heard anyone tell them. Grandma was wise she got our attention through storytelling. 


3 comments:

  1. I love the way you set the scene...the full moon, outstretched legs. And finally, we get to hear a few words of Twi in your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that the haiku introduced your story. How dear your Grandma sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The full moon staring at you...I wish I could be a child again. Would love to hear the Ananse story!

    ReplyDelete