Wednesday 14 March 2018



Memories


Spelling - Then and Now


We learned to spell by rote
She spoke aloud we wrote
When talking was allowed
We had to recite aloud
Each student had to shout
The combination of letters out
An interesting way to learn
To spell the words we use.
I learned to spell by rote. Fortunately, I am visual learner. I could memorize
the words I had to spell.
I know there are many ways to teach students to spell.
For my fourth graders we (my support teacher and I) have been using parts
of words to help them figure them out. We ask them frequently to use
these guiding questions-
What does it mean?
What is the base?
Can you identify any prefixes or suffixes?
What are some related words?
We practice this often, they are noticing patterns.
Hopefully we are helping them learn to spell
and learn the meanings of words, through inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment