Tuesday 11 April 2017

Gifts Are Not Always Tangible 

When I set up my blog I decided to call it Gifts. That is the word that came to me. I believe when one writes for any audience, they are presenting gifts of words.

The words we share are gifts for others. They present feelings, experiences, made up stories, ideas and more.

On my class’s library visit this week, I came across a very special book that I could connect with my Blog title:

The Gift of Nothing By Patrick McDonnell

I read the book and noted this line;
“What do you get someone who has everything?’
This question made me think and wonder about life and the possibility of people having everything they need or want.

In my opinion, people always need something, especially things for survival. When they have those, they may seek their wants.

I also believe that one of the best things we can give each other is our company and our time, which the book shares.

Another book we shared as a read aloud has circumstances that bring people together. I associated the two books with the gift of stopping and sharing our time with others. In Blackout, families come together and have fun!

The gift of togetherness is not tangible but valuable.





8 comments:

  1. The gift of words and the time to read and savor them makes me grateful today. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you... I am reading a very good book and enjoying the gift of words.

      Delete
  2. This was a good post for today. It's rainy and blah here, so I like thinking about the "gifts" that I get every day from my students, as well as the "gifts" that I hope I give to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder of the 'gifts' we give students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I believe when one writes for any audience, they are presenting gifts of words." This really resonates with me. Just the other day, I was thinking about how kind a friend of mine is, always thinking of others, buying special little gifts for them. I don't have a lot of money and I'm not very creative or crafty. I wondered what I might do for others to let them know how special they are to me. I realized then that my gift to others is in my words. I love to write and I'd like to think I have a way with words. Thank you for this affirmation and for your gift to me today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too. This is one of the reasons why writing our slices is worthwhile.

      Delete
  5. I couldn't agree with your more. I love your last line: The gift of togetherness is not tangible but valuable. This rings so true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A teacher friend of mine always had her students prepare some sort of gift for their family members in some form of words whether it be a board game, a framed poem or whatever their imagination created like word art.

    ReplyDelete